Thursday, January 6, 2011

Reviewing a Year

     Truly it is amazing how time flys. The 2010 year has come and gone in a blink of an eye. It has had its share of good times and bad times; a combination of tears and laughs. In the past year my experiences have been so numerous. I have tried new things, I have seen new things, meet new people, learned more of who I am as a person and as a son of God.
     It has been a while since I've written a blog. Mostly because I have not known what to write about and I've been busy with so many things going on during the holidays. But now that most of the craziness is over I can start writing again and what else to write about but the past year and my experiences.
     Around this time last year until the about March was a busy time of the year. I had gap, which was going really well, dodgeball, which was going amazing and in full swing and I had work which was keeping me as busy as possible. Dodgeball took up a good amount of my time. It was real busy work to run a ministry. Especially a ministry like dodgeball. Gap, the high school youth group, took up my entire Sundays. I would be at church all day from 10am until about about 8pm. The reason I would be at church all day is because I would run the sound and lights for gap and I would have to set up all the sound equipment and lights by myself and that took me a while to do. If I finished up early I would go out and get some lunch or an early dinner but but it would normally be a quick trip out cause I would have to get back to the church for worship practice. After gap and all the kids went to small groups, I would stay and clean up all of the sound and light equipment by myself and move it all into the oasis room. Sundays took a lot out of me. Once spring came around, soccer season started and I got extremely busy with work and reffing and keeping up with gap and dodgeball. During the spring my schedule would be pretty simple, I would go to work in the mornings then right after work I would go straight to a soccer game or two and then sundays I would be at church all day. That was pretty much my schedule for the whole spring. Once school was about to get out, and up to this point my year was going pretty well, everything went from good to bad pretty quick. I think I wrote about all that in a other blog though so I wont go into it again. All I will say about it is that it was a very difficult time for me. The rest of the year for me was pretty much similar schedule wise minus the sundays. I had those back and was able to do what I wanted to which was exactly what I needed. Almost all of my college career, I was involved with gap somehow and during the rest of the week I had absolutely no days off from either school, work, or even gap. This lead to one of the first things I learned last year about myself. I need a day off to myself where I can do whatever I want to do and just relax.
     Anyways, I'm starting to ramble. During the summer, after I started to feel less angry at people, I heard something that had a bit of an impact on me and caused an "Ah-ha" moment. I was driving and someone told me that one of the biggest reasons I got picked on was because I'm a great and nice guy and other guys are threatened by that. Another thing I learned about myself is that I can be very shy but at the same time I can be very out going. I love being around people and being close to people. As long as I can remember, I've always enjoyed being there for people and talking to people even though holding a conversation is not one of my strengths. I also learned a reason why I can be so frustrated and upset when I'm at home. By no means am I proud of it but I feel like its true. But I don't think I'm going to get into that thing. Recently, I was having coffee with Joe K. We were talking at starbucks and he pointed a few things out about me. Things like, I like having new things and getting new things. I don't really appreciate being made to look like an idiot and being embarrassed infront of people. Nor do I like when people try to out do me. By that I mean, when people tell me that I am not doing something right and step in and push me aside. I get upset. Besides all those things, I feel like I've just hit the tip of the ice berg. There is still a long ways for me to go but I am always finding out new things about myself.
     Overall, I would say that the 2010 year was a good year. Naturally it had it's ups and downs but every year is going to have those times. There is nothing we can do to not have a down time in any year. They are a natural part of life. Never can it be predicted that something bad will happen. It is how we deal with those times that helps define who we are as people.

No comments:

Post a Comment